As a multifaceted consulting firm, Building Diagnostics Group performs infrared testing services, aerial thermography, water penetration inspections, and other services to clients throughout the nation.
Building Diagnostics Group (BDG), founded in 2002, is an industry leader in infrared testing services and the non-destructive detection, investigation, and resolution of water intrusions. Robert Scherer, President, is certified in Advanced Building Diagnostics and is an ITC Certified Level III Thermographer with more than 15 years of thermography experience in a wide range of applications.
Our team has extensive knowledge of most building systems and specializes in forensic water intrusion investigations. This allows us to not only properly test fenestrations on new construction projects, but also pinpoint the cause of any test failures and provide accurate recommendations to achieve successful testing results. Failures during quality assurance (new construction) testing can result in unnecessary delays that impact your bottom line.
What is Infrared Thermography?
Infrared thermography (IR) is the science of infrared imaging. Infrared radiation is emitted by all objects, and the amount of radiation increases with temperature.
Thermographic cameras detect this radiation in a similar manner as an ordinary camera detects visible light. The radiation is converted into visible high-resolution images that make it possible to “see” variations in temperature with or without visible illumination.
Infrared thermography is the only diagnostic tool that can instantly detect whether water has penetrated a roof system or building envelope.
BDG provides the highest quality infrared and digital imagery in the industry. We use only high-resolution FLIR SYSTEMS thermography equipment and utilize several different camera systems, including a Zenmuse XT 640×512 resolution radiometric infrared camera, each for a specific use and calibrated for specific targets.
BDG’s infrared testing and inspection services include, but are not limited to:
- Exterior building inspections – BDG can thoroughly evaluate a building’s exterior wall system for water intrusions that may have damaged the exterior sheathing and/or structural components and effectively identify potential hidden defects.
- Interior building inspections – With our extensive knowledge and use of high-resolution infrared cameras, we can quickly pinpoint the exact location of water intrusions with little or no physical disassembly of the premises and with minimal disturbance to the occupants.
- Commercial roof surveys – BDG can pinpoint problem areas in need of repair to help you avoid expensive roof replacements. Our team can evaluate up to 300,000 SF of roof area in a single visit via our walk-over method, or evaluate millions of square feet by utilizing our aerial sUAS service.
- Cell Fill (CMU) evaluations – Concrete Masonry Walls (CMU), commonly referred to as concrete block walls, are not structurally sound without proper rebar and grouting. Infrared technology is the most effective tool for surveying a masonry wall to detect deficiencies in the structural components.
- EIFS inspections –BDG’s water infiltration analysis, pre-purchase and construction services provide moisture analysis of any structure with exterior insulating finish systems (EIFS) or stucco cladding to find excessive moisture content in the structural cavities and framing.
- Energy audits –Our energy audits are the fastest and most effective non-destructive method of assessing the energy efficiency of residential and commercial structures and HVAC systems.
For more information about infrared testing and inspection services from Building Diagnostics Group, call us at (888) 317-4568 or contact us online to discuss your project.