Building Diagnostics Group (BDG), founded in 2002, is an industry leader in infrared thermography inspection services in Charlotte, North Carolina and throughout the nation.
BDG specializes in the non-destructive detection, investigation, and resolution of water intrusions on multi-family, commercial, industrial and institutional buildings. Our expertise in infrared building science and water testing procedures enables us to identify the cause and origin of most building failures.
Infrared thermography (IR) is the use of specialized equipment to measure the thermal energy emitted from an object. Thermal energy is light that is not visible because its wavelength is too long to be detected by the human eye. Unlike visible light, in the infrared world, everything with a temperature above absolute zero emits heat.
BDG exclusively uses FLIR infrared camera equipment. FLIR is the world’s leader in infrared technology. Using only high resolution, our specialty thermography equipment has enabled us to become one of the nation’s leaders in building science thermography.
With several high-resolution infrared cameras, each designed for a specific use, and a highly trained team of professionals, we provide the most comprehensive non-destructive building investigations available today.
Uses for Infrared Thermography
Infrared thermography by BDG is a powerful non-invasive tool for a wide range of applications that might otherwise require destructive contact, including:
- Exterior building inspections – We can thoroughly evaluate a building’s exterior wall system for water intrusions that may have damaged the exterior sheathing and/or structural components and effectively identify potential hidden defects.
- Interior building inspections – With our extensive knowledge and use of high resolution infrared cameras, we can quickly pinpoint the exact location of water intrusions with little or no physical disassembly of the premises and with minimal disturbance to the occupants.
- Commercial roof surveys – Infrared roof inspections are a non-contact and non-destructive testing method to determine active roof leaks. BDG’s inspections are fast and affordable and provide a clear picture of damaged areas. Our team can evaluate up to 300,000 SF of roof area in a single visit via our walk-over method, or evaluate millions of square feet by utilizing our aerial sUAS service.
- Cell Fill (CMU) evaluations – Concrete Masonry Walls (CMU), commonly referred to as concrete block walls, are not structurally sound without proper rebar and grouting. Infrared technology is the best tool for surveying a masonry wall to find deficiencies in the structural components.
- EIFS inspections – Our water infiltration analysis, pre-purchase and construction services provide moisture analysis of any structure with EIFS or stucco cladding to find excessive moisture content in the structural cavities and framing.
- Energy audits – Infrared thermography provides a unique opportunity to assess the energy efficiency of the residential and commercial structures and HVAC systems. BDG performs energy audits that will identify heat loss and improper/inadequate insulation installation.
- Electrical inspections – Infrared thermography allows for rapid identification of electrical problems before they fail, allowing them to be documented and corrected before becoming more serious and more expensive to repair.
As a multifaceted consulting firm, Building Diagnostics Group performs these and other infrared inspection services in Charlotte, North Carolina and nationwide. To receive a quote or more information, please contact us at (888) 317-4568 to discuss your project.