ASTM E2128 – 01a – Standard Guide for Evaluating Water Leakage of Building Walls
1.1 This guide describes methods for determining and evaluating causes of water leakage of exterior walls. For this purpose, water penetration is considered leakage, and therefore problematic, if it exceeds the planned resistance or temporary retention and drainage capacity of the wall, is causing or is likely to cause premature deterioration of a building or its contents, or is adversely affecting the performance of other components. A wall is considered a system including its exterior and interior finishes, fenestration, structural components and components for maintaining the building interior environment.
1.2 Investigative techniques discussed may be intrusive, disruptive or destructive. It is the responsibility of the investigator to establish the limitations of use, to anticipate and advise of the destructive nature of some procedures, and to plan for patching and selective reconstruction as necessary.
1.3 This practice does not purport to address all of the safety concerns, if any, associated with its use. Establish appropriate safety and health practices and determine the applicability of regulatory limitations prior to use. Awareness of safety and familiarity with safe procedures are particularly important for above-ground operations on the exterior of a building and destructive investigative procedures which typically are associated with the work described in this guide.
2. Referenced Documents
American Architectural Manufacturers Association (AAMA) Standards
503 Specification for Field Testing of Metal Storefronts, Curtain Walls and Sloped Glazing Systems
- E1105 Test Method for Field Determination of Water Penetration of Installed Exterior Windows, Curtain Walls and Doors by Uniform or Cyclic Static Air Pressure Difference
- E331 Test Method for Water Penetration of Exterior Windows, Curtain Walls and Doors by Uniform Static Air Pressure Difference
- E514 Test Method for Water Penetration and Leakage Through Masonry
- E547 Test Method for Water Penetration of Exterior Windows, Curtain Walls and Doors by Cyclic Static Air Pressure Differential
- E631 Terminology of Building Construction
To learn more about our services give us a call today.