Building Diagnostics Group’s infrared building surveys have uncovered significant hidden building defects, such as moisture within walls, insulation, and other building materials that indicate leaking pipes, condensation issues, and other problems. We have saved clients in cities across the U.S. thousands of dollars.
Building Diagnostics Group (BDG), a multifaceted consulting firm headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia, has extensive experience with the non-destructive detection, investigation, and resolution of water intrusions in commercial, industrial and multi-family buildings.
Robert Scherer, President, is certified in Advanced Building Diagnostics and is an ITC Certified Level III Thermographer, Certified Indoor Environmentalist and Certified Mold Inspector with more than 15 years of thermography experience in a wide range of applications.
Our highly trained team of professionals has the knowledge and ability to perform a wide range of thermal imaging inspections locally, regionally and nationwide and can handle any size project.
What Causes Water Intrusion?
Infrared thermography (IR) is the only diagnostic tool that lets you instantly visualize faults due to thermal patterns, enabling you to maintain the reliability of electrical and mechanical systems and resolve issues before it is too late. Thermography also easily detects water penetrating a building envelope due to the thermal differences between wet building materials and the adjacent dry materials.
The basic causes of moisture intrusion into buildings are:
- Rainwater/groundwater intrusion: In both hot, humid and temperate climates, rainwater leaks and groundwater infiltration are major sources of building moisture and mold-related problems.
- Intrusion of moisture-laden air from outside: Humid air from outside can be introduced into building cavities by wind and through HVAC systems. This can be a particularly serious problem in hot, humid climates.
- Water vapor diffusion: Differential vapor pressure between the interior and exterior of a building can cause water vapor to diffuse through the building envelope. This can be a significant problem in cold climates.
BDG performs field-testing procedures relative to evaluating the performance of installed windows, doors, storefront, curtain walls, sloped glazing systems, skylights, ribbon windows, and exterior building facades for new construction quality assurance and diagnostic services to determine the cause of water intrusions.
Our infrared surveys include:
- Exterior building inspections
- Interior building inspections
- Commercial roof surveys
- Cell Fill (CMU) evaluations
- EIFS inspections
- Energy audits
- Electrical inspections
After a survey, we interpret the infrared data and provide clients with a comprehensive report. High-resolution digital images can be provided in a traditional PDF report format that outlines concerns found during the inspection and recommendations for proper repairs. They can also be uploaded to our cloud reporting platform to produce a large format stitched image or a 3D model that can easily be annotated, measured, and shared.
If you would like to know more about Building Diagnostics Group’s infrared building surveys, please get in touch with us at (888) 317-4568 to discuss your project, or contact us online.