Infrared inspections from Building Diagnostics Group can rapidly identify water intrusion problems in your multi-family, commercial, industrial or institutional buildings in Virginia Beach, VA and help you get them under control before they become more serious and expensive to repair.
Building Diagnostics Group (BDG), headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia, is a multifaceted consulting firm that specializes in the non-destructive detection, investigation, and resolution of water intrusions on multi-family, commercial, industrial and institutional buildings.
We offer services in a variety of different roles, often working with engineering firms during the due diligence process of an acquisition. We are typically the first to inspect the exterior of a property, providing insight about the overall condition and the need, if any, for additional services to complete the due diligence evaluation.
We have performed inspection services on 300+ properties and inspected in excess of over 50 million square feet. Our services have identified significant hidden building defects that have cost from $2 to $5 million dollars each in underlying structural repairs.
Our services include:
- Exterior building inspections
- Interior building inspections
- Commercial roof surveys
- Aerial infrared roof inspections
- Cell Fill (CMU) evaluations
- EIFS inspections
- Energy audits
- Electrical inspections
What Causes Water Intrusion?
Infrared thermography (IR) is the only diagnostic tool that lets you instantly visualize faults due to thermal patterns, enabling you to maintain the reliability of electrical and mechanical systems and resolve issues before it is too late. Thermography also easily detects water penetrating a building envelope due to the thermal differences between wet building materials and the adjacent dry materials.
The basic causes of moisture intrusion into buildings are:
- Rainwater/groundwater intrusion: In both hot, humid and temperate climates, rainwater leaks and groundwater infiltration are major sources of building moisture and mold-related problems.
- Intrusion of moisture-laden air from outside: Humid air from outside can be introduced into building cavities by wind and through HVAC systems. This can be a particularly serious problem in hot, humid climates.
- Water vapor diffusion: Differential vapor pressure between the interior and exterior of a building can cause water vapor to diffuse through the building envelope. This can be a significant problem in cold climates.
BDG performs field-testing procedures relative to evaluating the performance of installed windows, doors, storefront, curtain walls, sloped glazing systems, skylights, ribbon windows, and exterior building facades for new construction quality assurance and diagnostic services to determine the cause of water intrusions.
Benefits of Infrared Inspections
Knowing as much as possible about your property gives you the critical information you need to identify costly hidden damage or validate a sound investment. This makes infrared building inspections an extremely cost-effective part of the decision-making process.
Unlike many commercial building inspection techniques, infrared inspections are completely non-invasive, which means there is no risk of damaging any aspect of the property and minimal disruption.
Other benefits include:
- Advance warning of a potential problems and system failures
- Prevent lost production time
- Increase energy efficiency
- Reduce safety incidents caused by unexpected system failures
- Reduce operating costs
- Ideal for predictive maintenance of electrical, mechanical and structural systems
For more information about infrared building inspections in Virginia Beach, VA conducted by Building Diagnostics Group, call us at (888) 317-4568 or contact us online to discuss your project.